Summer is here, and it is usually a time for DIY’s, home renovations, and new additions, including a pool! If you already have a pool or are considering investing in one, we wanted to share some maintenance and swimming pool safety tips to make sure your summer is filled with wonderful memories with family and friends.
According to the U.S. Product Safety Commission, 47% of children who experience swimming pool injuries did so at a residential swimming pool. We believe these 13 safety and maintenance tips are essential to anyone who owns a pool.
Swimming Pool Safety Tips:
- Have a secure above ground pool safety fence (5 ft or taller) and a locked entrance around the pool and deck area.
- Consider installing a self-closing and self-latching pool safety gate.
- Never leave a child alone in the water or pool area.
- Teach children essential water safety tips and enroll them in swimming lessons.
- Less experienced swimmers should be accompanied by a swimmer who knows CPR.
- Install your door, gate, or pool with an audible pool safety alarm to alert you if someone enters the pool area or falls into the pool while it is unattended.
- Have life-saving pool safety equipment in the pool area, including life preservers, a reaching pole, or a rescue hook.
Pool Maintenance Tips:
- Keep electrical devices, including outdoor entertainment systems, away from pools or wet surfaces.
- If you do use electrical devices outdoors, be sure to plug them into a GFCI (ground-fault circuit interrupter).
- Keep pool chemicals safely stored away from the pool area.
- Keep the pool and deck area clear of glass, toys, or other accident hazards (e.g., protruding nails, loose boards, etc.).
- For above-ground pools, check metal supports for rust or deterioration. These may indicate areas where the pool could rupture or a person could be injured.
- Ensure your pool has compliant anti-entrapment drain covers and inspect them regularly.
For more information on pool safety, please feel free to check out the CDC website for pool and hot tub owners.
Hurricane Season is in full swing! Here are 5 things you need to know about Hurricanes.