Rental Property Insurance

Dwelling Fire policies are most common for seasonal or secondary homes, homes rented to others or homes that don’t qualify for a Homeowners Insurance policy. A Dwelling Fire Insurance policy is an “a la carte” policy that includes property insurance covering damage to the home and the owner’s belongings. There is an option to include liability insurance covering certain legal claims against the owner, and limited coverage for medical expenses of guests who are injured on the owner’s property.

Understanding Your Risks and Coverages

Before you purchase a policy, it is important that you understand the risks you face so you can make the best choice to get the right policy at the right price. When you think about it, the first risk you should consider is actually two-pronged: the risk of buying too little coverage, or too much. With that risk in mind, you can better identify the other risks you face, and how much coverage you need in relation to those risks.

Bankers Helps You Prepare for the Risks You May Face

Simply put, risk management is the process of first identifying the risks you face as a property owner and second, figuring out ways to minimize – or manage – them. There are nine major risks that face property owners and some or all may apply to you, depending on where you live:

To learn how to protect yourself and your family from these risks visit Insurance 101.


This is the amount of out-of-pocket expense you must pay for damages before the insurance coverage begins.

Learn More

Primary Coverages

For many of us, our home is the most valuable single asset we own. Therefore, it is important that we make the proper buying decision in purchasing insurance to protect it and ourselves. The property portion of a typical Dwelling Fire policy covers your home, the contents inside your home, most unattached structures on your property such as a shed or free-standing garage, and loss of use or loss of rent. The policy also has a liability portion that provides coverage for unintentional acts by you or your family that cause bodily injury.

Learn More

Additional Coverages

You may want to take a moment to review our additional coverages that allow you to customize your policy to fit your individual needs. Click the “Learn More” button for details. Not all coverages are available in all states. Please consult with your local agent for availability.

Learn More

Ready to Build Your Own Policy? Get A Quote.


You may be eligible for discounts based on your personal characteristics, as well as features of your home that will reduce your premium. Save Now.

Living in a CAT State

You Want Catastrophe Experience When You Need It

Those of us who live in a “CAT State” – a catastrophe-prone state – know that being prepared is key. This includes having the right insurance coverage. That said, one of the most important considerations in selecting an insurance company – especially if you live in coastal states – is catastrophe experience. Bankers has weathered an impressive 25+ catastrophes and offers exceptional customer service and claims response time. You don’t want to think it can happen to you, but, in the event of an emergency, you want an insurance company that knows precisely how to meet your needs.

Remember, you can buy Earthquake and Flood Insurance separately. These two important risks are not covered in your basic Dwelling Fire Insurance policy.

Ready to Speak to an Agent?

Insurance is complex and you need professional advice you can trust. We partner with top quality independent agents who can help guide you through the purchasing process. There are many things you should be asking your agent prior to purchasing insurance for your home or business. Below, we’ve listed a few questions you might not have considered.

First, be prepared before you visit your agent. Do an inventory of your home or business. You may be surprised how much you really have. Visit*

Find and agent today.

Below are a few of the types of questions your agent can answer:

  • Does my lender require flood insurance? Am I in a special flood hazard zone? (Everyone is in a flood zone!)
  • How much flood coverage do I need?
  • What is Umbrella Insurance and is it just for the wealthy?
  • Do I need special coverage for an in-home office?
  • I collect antiques and jewelry. How do I get this covered?
  • Do I need employment practices liability lnsurance and what does it cover?
  • Is my company required to maintain workers compensation coverage?
  • What will happen if I cannot operate my business?
  • I conduct business out of state. Is my electronic information protected?
  • What is identity theft and is there a way to protect myself from it?

* You are now leaving the BFC website and entering a third party website. Accordingly, we encourage you to read the terms and conditions and privacy policy of the third party website. The third party website is not owned or controlled by BFC. BFC is not affiliated with this website, has no control over the website, and assumes no responsibility for the content, privacy policies, or practices of the third party website. In addition, BFC will not and cannot censor or edit the content of any third-party site. You expressly release BFC from any and all liability arising from your use of any third-party website.