Do you ever feel like your interpretation of your insurance policy isn’t so black and white? Have you ever said,
not knowing that your homeowners’ water loss policy already has your back? Or have you ever asked the question,
At the risk of you having a grey-out trying to decipher your insurance policy, we’ve compiled 50 real life scenarios and topics that may not come across so black and white. By the time you get through this list you’ll be saying, “Not so grey, I see it now.”
1. You’re on a business trip in Seattle and you’ve just left the golf course. You decide to grab a bite to eat with your colleagues. After a fulfilling meal you head back to your rental car to find your clubs are missing. You immediately think, “Thank goodness I bought rental car insurance”. But in reality, your homeowners’ policy already has you covered.
2. In a matter of hours, “Winter Storm Dakota” left an unanticipated 4 feet of snow piled against your home’s windows and doors. At this point there is no damage to your house but you know the melted snow has to go somewhere. You don’t live in a high risk “flood zone” so purchasing flood insurance has never crossed your mind. But in this case, it’s just what you need to be covered the looming damage.
3. While the neighborhood kids are good kids, they are an extremely curious bunch. They decide your backyard would be the best place for their football game and since you aren’t home, it’s the perfect timing as well. One thing leads to another and little Charlie ends up in the hospital after falling on some decorative rocks you piled up for weekend landscaping. Does your homeowners’ have you covered? The answer is yes.
4. Recognized now as a global leader in communications technologies, Eco manufacturing, and next generation farming solutions, it’s easy to say the company you’ve worked so hard to build is doing well. Just between us, your vacation home alone is worth $405,000. You’ve purchased flood insurance but did you know that if your home is worth over $250,000, you need Excess Flood Insurance to ensure your luxury getaway is fully covered?
5. You’ve been talking about that tree in your neighbor’s yard for months. It looks weak and it’s definitely leaning towards your house. Well, last night all your worst fears came true. The big bad wolf/storm came through and blew that tree down, right into your living room. Luckily, your homeowners’ insurance covers it.
6. Not sure how this one made the list because it’s arguably the most black and white of our grey scenarios; your coverage for a shark launching tornado, Sharknado Insurance.
10. After having a killer day at the office, you arrive at your apartment to find your bedroom TV and sound system drenched in water. It seems to be seeping through from your upstairs neighbor’s apartment. You dry them off to the best of your ability but it’s too late. What’s never been late is your payment for renter’s insurance, which means you get to replace those damaged devices and you can also afford to gift a plunger to your neighbor.
11. You never leave your phone. Never. Except that one time when you ran into the grocery store for milk. Eight minutes later and just as your separation anxiety sets in, you’re back at your car but only to find that your window is broken and your phone is gone. The only good news of this day is your is your homeowners’ or renters insurance will cover the loss of your phone.
20. Your grouchy but oh so cuddly, “Sparky the terrier”, has always served as a respectable guard dog. Because he’s so cuddly, you’d never expected him to bite the neighbor returning your borrowed lawn equipment. Depending on the state you live in, your homeowners’ policy will put a leash on your out of pocket expenses. Check with your agent to see if you’re covered.
21. It’s sunny and 70. Perfect weather for 18 relaxing holes on the golf course. It’s been a while since you used your clubs so your first swing isn’t so pretty. Not only that but the ball takes a turn to the left and hits a fellow golfer on the course. Looks like you made a hole in one for his medical bills. But a little birdie tells us your homeowners’ insurance will cover your liability.
26. There is mold in your movie room. Mold. Fungus. You find out that removing it may cost you more than the 90” 4K Curved TV you been saving up for to make it the ultimate movie room. Coverage for this type of damage is dependent on your specifications. Check with your agent and have them review the language of your policy to ensure your covered to your expectations.
27. You and your friends from Washington State University are hanging out at your apartment when all of a sudden you notice a part of your living room wall that looks darker than usual. You put your hand on the spot and realize there is water seeping through. A pipe burst. Awesome. Got renter’s insurance? No prob. You’re covered.
37. This grey masked identity thief. Coverage for identity theft is typically an additional policy so don’t count on your homeowners’ policy covering you if your credit cards, social security or birth certificate are taken from your home and used to buy gas at 40 different gas stations across the state.
38. The sewer backs up, floods your basement and now there is grey water everywhere. Are you covered? No. Standard home insurance policies don’t cover sewer backups, and many specifically exclude damage from sewer back-ups. If you live near this type of potential hazard, ask your agent about an endorsement that can cover you.
39. You’re bummed you weren’t invited on the trip to London with your buddy and his new girlfriend so you and some friends make plans for Miami. You get there, unpack and head out for the night. When you get back to the room you’re bummed again to find everything in your room is GONE. The only thing they couldn’t take was your renter’s insurance. Which luckily has you covered in this bummer situation.
To get really literal…
43. Gray & Gray Insurance, Jacksonville, FL
44. Sid Gray Insurance, Tallahassee, FL
45. Michael Gray Surety Agency, Centennial, CO
46. John W. Gray Insurance Agency, Naples, FL
47. Gray’s Insurance Agency, Conroe, TX
48. Gray Miller & Middleton, West Columbia, SC
49. Grayson Thomas Agency, Fountain Inn, SC